Only serotonergic neurotransmission is depicted here.
- The mechanism of the antidepressant effect of vilazodone is not fully understood, but is thought to be related to its enhancement of serotonergic activity in the CNS through selective inhibition of serotonin reuptake.1
- Vilazodone is also a partial agonist at 5-HT1A receptors; however, the net result of this action on serotonergic transmission and its role in the antidepressant effect of vilazodone are unknown.1
- Vilazodone binds with high affinity to the serotonin reuptake site but not to the norepinephrine or dopamine reuptake sites
- Vilazodone potently and selectively inhibits reuptake of serotonin
- Vilazodone also binds selectively with high affinity to 5-HT1A receptors and is a 5-HT1A receptor partial agonist
Viibryd (vilazodone HCl) [package insert]. St. Louis, MO: Forest Pharmaceuticals, Inc.; 2012.